Tuesday, December 15, 2009

December and all its glory... so far

So I haven't updated my blog since the Thanksgiving turkey attempt about two weeks ago.

My apologies.

Its the wee hours of the morning here in Germany, 1:28 am on December 16th, 2009--which means that in some parts of the world, it is still my birthday... America for example. The 23rd celebration of my date of birth here in Deutschland was calm and uneventful, but pleasant. I worked from 8:30-4:00 teaching English lessons and then in the evening came home to a nice cake and a couple surprises including some American brownies (!) and Twizzlers (!) and SwissMiss Hot Chocolate, all rare and precious booty here in Germany.

I'm not sleeping because every attempt to swallow is followed by a searing, stinging punishment that accompanies sore throats. I hope, really really hope, it gets better soon (as in like the next twelve hours soon)--as I still have two more full days of teaching this week in addition to Christkindlmarkt work on the weekend...

Speaking of work, ever seem to notice that when one gets busy--one gets really busy? That's what December turned out to be so far for me. I wanted a little extra work and what I got was a whole boat load delivered right to the front door. As with most of the work I've found and have done in the last couple of years, its all temporary short-term stuff, and so I feel I have to suck it up and do as much as I can while I have the opportunity. I should also mention here, that I really enjoy the work that I do... teaching English has really turned out to be much more than grammar, as I initially thought. Its about sharing culture--teaching one and learning another--breaking down and discovering some of the very things that are engrained into us from a young age-- for example, language and behavior which reflects the values of a nation or region and its people. Its all about communication, baby.

Anyways, to keep the ramblings of an american in deutschland short, I will end by saying that I promise to post some photos of Nuremberg during the Christmas season soon--before all the tourists, gluhwein, lebkuchen and chaos disappear.

Until then, here's a countdown of life for the next couple of weeks:

23rd Birthday --> -1 days

End of Work/Christkindlmarkt & Christmas Eve --> 9 days

Christmas Day --> 10 days

4th Anniversary --> 14 days

2010 --> 17 days

Berlin :) --> 19 days


So until next time.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment